Successful Launch of Sporty’s 172LITE Program Leads to Sales
Demonstrated need for basic trainer
Flight schools and flying clubs nationwide have expressed great interest in Sporty’s 172LITE trainer. As a result of this demand from the marketplace, Sporty’s is offering the 172LITE to flight schools and flying clubs as an affordable trainer.
“After December’s announcement of the 172LITE, my inbox and voicemail were flooded with inquiries from flight schools and flying clubs throughout the country,” Sporty’s Charlie Masters stated. “There is industry-wide demand for a basic, affordable airplane for the training and rental market for which the 172LITE hits the spot.”
The 172LITE begins life as a preowned Cessna 172. The airframe is inspected by Sporty’s mechanics and a refurbishment plan is developed including:
- Engine overhaul by Signature Engines
- Windows inspected and replaced as needed
- New upholstery for seats and sidewalls
- Plastic trim and headliner repaired or replaced
- New vinyl floor covering
- New metal instrument panel custom fit to the airframe
- New electrical switches and circuit breakers
- Wiring inspected and replaced as required
- Each aircraft is outfitted with an intercom, basic communications radio and Mode C transponder
- Instruments are tested and replaced as needed
- Landing, Taxi and Position Lights replaced with modern LEDs
- Controls and cables inspected and replaced as needed
- Lastly, the aircraft is painted and undergoes another thorough inspection
The result is an aircraft with a new appearance, with all the instruments needed for initial training, for about one-third the price of a new Skyhawk. Although the goal of the 172LITE project is to produce a simple airplane that does not confuse the new student or renter with complicated menu-driven interfaces, the basic panel can be easily customized to accommodate any optional avionics customers may desire. This work is performed by Cincinnati Avionics, Sporty’s avionics shop.
The order book is now open to purchase 172LITEs, designed for a renewed era of flight training with emphasis on airmanship over systems, in an airframe that can easily accommodate two real-sized adults. For more information contact Charlie at [email protected] or (800) 908-4359.